Rob, my friend Gilly’s son, promised he would come today to help me on the Allotment and true to his word arrived at about 11ish. We all made our way over to the Lot loaded down with my collection of ‘women’s tools’ , including rusty saws, a collection of rusty bent nails, a super size crowbar, chisels, screwdrivers and whatever else I thought might do the trick of dismantling these pallets, and enough food and drink and chocolate to get us through the afternoon. An afternoon which was quite cold and before I even put my wellies on, my toes were like blocks of ice. I had made up my mind about putting in raised beds earlier in the week and had gone about town on the beg for wooden pallets to make my plan to not spend money on wood a reality. Rob set to sawing the pallets into two boards deep until we had enough to make the first raised bed. The first photo is of the end of the garden where the former allotmenteer had his chicken shed. At first I thought I was going to use the pallets to make a composter but changed course and will do that later. So we had to move all the pallets back down to the other end.
Fairly impressive isn’t it? That’s me in the background laying pieces of broken board down in the mud! It was sticking to all our wellies until we could hardly move! The pallets were perfect for the job but untreated so they may not last too long but as with a lot of things, I’ll worry about that later!
Gilly in the meantime got busy digging up the raspberry canes. Then, the first raised bed happened! We had Dido and Daisy, my border terriers, with us up to this point but they didn’t like the hammering so I took them off home out of the cold and the mud!
Soon, the second one was finished, and we stopped for a coffee and a sandwich, except Gilly forgot the coffee, and I caused a major catastrophe! I forgot to take the camping stove out of it’s plastic case before lighting it! I kept smelling plastic burning and then saw to my horror the stove itself was melting with the heat! If I had a brain I would be dangerous! But no harm done this time and no coffee to warm us up on such a cold November day. Eventually we finished all three raised beds in spite of the melting plastic. Guess I have to get another one as I can’t be without a way to make a coffee this winter!
Many thanks to Rob for a grand job making the beds, and to Gilly for her digging and to me for melting my camp stove! It was a fun day and still lots more to do! I’ve decided to make a bug hotel with some of the leftover wood! More on this later!